Reactions from the first PACIFIC RIM test screening now online!
Despite being about 5 months away from the worldwide theatrical release of Pacific Rim, the first semi-public test screening of the Guillermo del Toro directed movie occurred a few hours ago in sunny Burbank California.
(Photo courtesy of IMDb user metalmeatwad)
The lucky few in attendance chimed in on what transpired in this screening on Twitter and various outlets on the internet. Here’s a few non-spoilery bits from their experience:
Rian Johnson @rianjohnson (Twitter)
Go into Pacific Rim prepared to be transmogrified into a 12 year old. And then to pee your pants with joy. I love it so much.
Bryan Chojnowski @BryanInSpace (Twitter)
Just saw an early cut of Pacific Rim and it is pretttttty cool.
Eric Church @HoursOfWealth (Twitter)
Saw a pre-screening of Pacific Rim… it is amazing.
Alex Irvine @alexirvine (Twitter)
So, yeah. You’re going to want to see Pacific Rim.
IMDb user OriginsOfRuin:
I just got back from the screening (though I’m not this guy’s friend, haha), and I freaking loved it. That’s all I can really say, but the FX are flat out incredible (the ones that were done) and the story is solid. I didn’t know Charlie Day was in it, and being a big fan of It’s Always Sunny, that was a pleasant surprise (he fits his role perfectly).
Overall, it’s probably the best summer monster movie I’ve seen, and out of summer movies in general, falls behind the new Batman series, but that’s about it. I wrote on their response form that they should be proud of the movie and that I’m glad it’s not another Transformers clone (re: Battleship). They killed it!
Let’s be honest, it’s not meant to be a complex, character-driven movie like the Batman franchise. There are huge monsters, humans fight them with big machines, and that’s your basic story. Beyond that, it’s easy to root for the characters and the action set pieces and monsters are incredible and awesome. It’s the summer action movie Transformers should’ve been, but failed epically at.
I don’t think you can expect that out of him because Avatar took place on another planet. Del Toro can only world build in the sense of envisioning a future on planet earth with crazy, big ass robots defending cities around the globe from giant, alien monsters. He can’t deviate too much from how we know and understand the world already.
1. The movie in its current form was around 2:00-2:15-ish. We weren’t allowed to have phones, so I’m not sure of the exact time..
2. I thought the performances were very good, considering the subject matter and the script. Idris Elba was great as the older commanding officer, and Charlie and Rinko both did well in their roles. Charlie Day and Ron Perlman were both awesome. It’s not going to win any SAG awards by any means, but the acting and direction were solid, and above average for a big monster movie.
3. It was hard to tell at points, to be honest. There was a good mixture between the two and they blended it really well. The set pieces with the jaegers were amazing and absolutely monstrous. It felt like a good combination between visual FX, models, and practical effects.
There were a good amount of kaijus (monsters), but they vary in size. Can’t really give the details on them.
If IMDb were to allow me to rated the movie, I’d give it a 10/10. I generally rate movies pretty highly, but that goes with understanding the identity of the movie for me. This particular film wasn’t meant to be anything more than giant robots fighting giant monsters. In that sense, it succeeded big time, and it had a lotta heart to go with it. I was thoroughly impressed and smiling throughout the film.
1. I think getting a maquette of anything from this movie would be pretty sweet. The designs of the jaegers and kaijus were very cool.
2. Yes, more than likely. I’d love to see it myself.
3. Umm… I honestly don’t remember the color that well. Black/gray/purple sounds about right. Somewhere in there, but mostly gray.
Thanks to JCP and all the good folks at the IMDb Pacific Rim message board.
Discuss this topic at our Pacific Rim Forum!